- Japan-based online marketplace Mercari is hiring former Facebook exec John Lagerling as chief business officer. Lagerling used to be the social network’s VP of business development, mobile, and product partnerships.
- The #startup, which is Japan’s youngest unicorn, is ramping up its US presence with a growing team in San Francisco.
- Mercari has 100 employees in the US now, compared to 30 a year ago.
Why it matters:
- Mercari is Japan’s first startup to reach a valuation of US$1 billion (a “unicorn”) since 2008. The ecommerce company has enjoyed tremendous growth and success in its native Japan, achieving millions of dollars in net profit per month.
- Foreign ecommerce companies like Alibaba and Rakuten haven’t made much of a dent in the US market, which is mostly still dominated by Amazon and eBay. Mercari, on the other hand, has made the country a cornerstone of its international expansion. It also recently launched in the UK.
- The startup has raised a disclosed total of over US$115 million from investors including East Ventures, Mitsui & Co, and Globis Capital Partners.