According to recent news, Ola drivers hit the streets to protest against an app outage. Back in 2006, if someone told you that taxi drivers would stage a ‘dharna’ because of an app outage, you would have laughed. Drivers and apps in the same sentence didn’t make sense back then. Today, it’s already happened, and reflects a new India in the making.
For the past decade, aided by technology, entrepreneurs have been toiling to create this new India. And now the Government of India is committed to paving the way for a young and fearless generation to innovate and #startup through Startup India. It is a movement that could possibly set India on a different growth trajectory. YourStory was on Ground Zero, reporting the event to the rest of the country minute by minute, pushing out over 700 hundred tweets and 14 long-form articles over the course of half a day.
How Twitter reacted to #StartupIndia
YourStory’s data science team took time to analyse the fire-hose of tweets during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s announcement at the startupIndia event. There were over 173,363 tweets hashtagged startupIndia from 42,958 contributors, with a reach of 173 million, and generating 2.2 billion impressions on Twitter in just 12 hours. (Total impressions indicate how many people potentially saw StartupIndia tweets over 12 hours on 16 January 2016.)
Engagement went through the roof, there were a total of 40K tweets, while 7K tweets were @ mentions; RTs totaled 1.3 lakh. Nearly 75% of tweets were tweeted without links; the remaining 25% went out with links. Nearly 30% of tweets were accompanied by a media link, picture, or video.
The chart below shows tweet volumes, which peaked at 119.43 per minute during the time that YourStory tracked StartupIndia tweets and RTs (over 15 hours between 6.30 am and 9.30 pm).
How people interacted with hashtag
Top Twitter accounts that contributed the highest engagement
Download the raw data of the top 25 Twitter accounts that were received the most @mentions and RTs along with StartupIndia hashtag. [Link]